We believe that looking polished is more than aesthetics and superficiality. For us, it means taking care of what you have and being the best version of yourself. If this is something that interests you, find out some of the things that help you look polished, it’s the details. Your interactions with others mean a lot, and your success at work and in life in general is attached to how well you excel at it.
You might just see that putting in some effort in your appearance could bring positive benefits to your work, relationships, and other areas in life.
Maintaining good hygiene habits such as showering every day and using deodorant to avoid body odor, brushing your teeth and maintaining healthy teeth and gums, wearing clean clothes, is important. You can extend hygiene habits to other areas in your life such as maintaining a clean-living space.
It also helps to practice safe food handling, always wash your hands before and after handling food, and properly store and cook food to prevent the spread of illness.
Master a good skincare routine to help you achieve the best skin you can have. Cleanse, moisturize, and protect your skin from the sun to maintain a healthy complexion. Note that your effort in getting beautiful skin can really benefit from eating a healthy diet, body exercise, and hydrating your body.
Here are some tips on how you can be a master your skincare:
- Know your skin type, it helps you choose and use the right products.
- Extend your skincare to the whole body. Are your lips, hands, feet, the back and thighs, etc. neglected?
- Get enough sleep as much as you can. It helps your skin look fresh and vibrant, and also helps the body heal itself.
- Do you suffer from persistent skin issues such as acne, eczema, etc.? Visit a dermatologist, not a beautician, to get the best advice and/or medication for the condition.
Hair Styling for a Polished Women
Your hair is a huge part in how well you look polished. Have you noticed that no matter how well dressed you are, unkempt hair just unravels the whole look? While it may require some effort and time to care for your hair, it is always a good idea to invest time in keeping your hair healthy and clean. Here are simple tips you can follow.
- Keep your hair and scalp clean by following a regular routine that works for you.
- Use hair treatments at least twice a month such as hot oil treatment, deep moisture or protein conditioning, all which nourish, moisturize, and strengthen your hair.
- Avoid exposing your hair to too much heat, especially during styling, to minimize hair damage.
- Keep an eye on hairstyles that can cause hair damage if care is not taken e.g., weaves, braids, tight cornrows, tight pony tails, etc.
- Buy the right products that are best suited for your hair type including shampoos, conditioners, heat protectants, hair conditioners, and hair treatments.
- Get your hair trimmed at the salon if you are not good at doing your hair at home to improve growth, hair length retention, and to maintain healthy hair ends.
- Make a statement with your hair by keeping it at its healthiest state, and wearing it in simple hair styles, whether short or long. Try searching “beautiful women” in Google, the result is women wearing shiny, healthy, and simple hairstyles.
- As it is with skincare, diet and haircare go hand in hand.
- You can experiment with different hair styles to find out which one compliments the shape of your face and hair type.
Your Hands, Nails, Feet, and Toe Nails
Many people neglect their hands and feet, and the results can be evident on their hands, and nails. Pat attention to your hands, thighs, and feet by keeping them well moisturized, soft, and pay attention to your nails and toe nails
Here are some tips:
- Extend your body moisturizer to your hands and fingers to keep them healthy, soft, and moisturized.
- Are your cuticles in good health? You can apply cuticle oil to keep the skin around your nails soft and prevent them from becoming dry and cracked.
- Avoid biting your nails to prevent them from looking uneven.
- Keep your nails and toe nails trimmed to prevent them from breaking unevenly.
- Whether your wear your nails bare or use nail polish, a simple clean look helps to gives you a polished look.
- Protect your hands and nails by avoiding contact with very hot water while doing household chores.
- Always use gentle methods to dry your hands after washing them e.g. towels, paper towels, etc.
- Remember to regularly exfoliate your arms, hands, elbows, thighs, knees, and feet, to remove dead skin cells and expose newer skin. Moisturize these parts religiously to keep them smooth, soft, nourished, and looking healthy.
Makeup can enhance your natural beauty and highlight your best features. You can learn some basic makeup techniques and invest in quality products that work well for your skin type. When done right, makeup can be used to improve the appearance of your skin, lips, eyes, and eyebrows. It can also help minimize some issues such as dark under eye circles, hyperpigmentation, dark spots, blemishes, etc.
However, it’s always a great idea to invest time in a good diet and skincare. Makeup can be used to improve your look, instead of hiding it. Master a polished makeup look by using the right color for your foundation to match your skin tone, as well as the right products to complement your eyebrow, eyes, lips, etc.
Clothes also feature in the list of how to look polished. Here are some things to consider.
- Wear well-fitting clothes, this makes a big difference in how polished you look. Too tight or too loose clothes might not flatter your body shape and could make you look frumpy.
- You can opt for natural fabrics that are high quality e.g., cotton, wool, silk, and avoid those that look cheap such as polyester.
- To look polished, always keep it simple. Classic, timeless pieces can be worn throughout the year.
- Pay attention to details such as buttons, zippers, stitching, and creasing that might be on your clothes.
- Accessorizing is an awesome way to look polished. Choose simple, classic accessories that complement your outfit. Avoid accessories that are too flashy or distracting.
- Dress for the occasion. Whether it’s a job interview, business meeting, social event, what you wear can make you look polished or just out of place.
- Pay attention to colors and how you wear them so as to look elegant and polished. A monochromatic look is one way to achieve a polished look.
Confidence, Manners, and Communicating with Others
Perhaps the most important part of looking polished is having excellent manners, being kind to others, and having a sense of self-confidence. These softer qualities are much appreciated and valuable compared to your polished look or dress or accessories. If your interaction with other people isn’t kind or genuine, even your well-meaning outwardly appearance won’t mean much.
It’s also important to communicate clearly and to pay attention to the people you are engaging with. Put your phone down or look up from your computer while talking to people. Cultural, religious, and political views can be sensitive topics when interacting with strangers or new acquaintances, learn how to navigate different environments so that your interactions with others are respectful and meaningful.
To summarize, start by accepting and trusting yourself, and establishing a sense of control in your life to become self-confident. And then, build from there how you’d like yourself to be perceived by others, i.e. polished or not.